CABG, stands for Coronary artery bypass grafting, in which the surgery is performed to improve the supply of blood flow throughout the heart. This surgery is performed to treat those patients who have severe CHD that is coronary heart disease. CHD is type of disease where plaque tends to build up which is like waxy substance, inside of coronary arteries. This kind of arteries are required to supply rich oxygenated blood to heart.
Overtime this plaque gets harden up or ruptures that is break open. Such hardened plaque basically narrows down coronary arteries, reducing the blood flow to heart. This tends to cause discomfort or pain in chest, that is known as angina. If this plaque is ruptured on the other hand, then on the surface it can form blood clot. If the blood clot is huge, or the blood flow because of the rupture gets entirely blocked, then it can cause heart attack. The CABG cost depends upon the kind of treatment and facility needed and also the hospitals where you are planning to get your surgery done. One of the benefit of having a bypass treatment is that it can offer relief from angina, improving upon the blood flow throughout the heart.
- An incision is made to the chest on the middle part by cardiac surgeon, which is then sliced through breastbone that is sternum. This process is known as median sternotomy.
- Then the heart is left to be cooled in salt iced water, where preservative solution has to be injected to the arteries of the heart. This process helps in minimizing the damage that is caused by the reduction in blood flow which occurred during surgery, which is called cardioplegia.
- Cardiopulmonary bypass first has to be established before proceeding with the bypass surgery.
- Plastic tubes are then placed onto right atrium of heart which channels out the venous blood from the body through the use of plastic sheeting or membrane oxygenator, in the lung machine. Then oxygenated blood will be returned to heart and body.
- Main aorta in heart is cross clamped or clamped off during this surgery which helps in maintaining that bloodless field.
The vessel used commonly is saphenous vein, that is from leg. This surgery takes at least four hours. Patients after surgery are required to exercise, and stay fit, and take care of the sutures, which are to be removed after 10 days. They need to be careful and give time for the swelling, breastbone, to heal properly and not lift anything that is too heavy. Also they are advised not to drive, and indulge in intercourse activity. After six weeks of recovery process they can return back to their work life, but not put too much strain. They are also required to stop smoking, control their diabetes and blood pressure, and keep the cholesterol levels in control. Many hospitals also offer an overall package, where the entire bypass surgery cost is covered with all the facilities, such as room’s rent, drugs, surgeon fees, physiotherapy, counseling, information on recovery pexrocess, etc.